Thursday 23 September 2010

Pretty Candles!

I've made a variety of autumn candles using a variety of things I had around my house (and in nature!)

This really doesn't have any step-by-step method, I just used wax from other candles  and used it kind of like glue.  It doesn't work that well, so that's why I only got as far as 1 orange slice. lol



These candles I surrounded with dried kidney beans.  They just looked very fall-ish to me!


This next idea is one of my favorites!

Can you guess what the base of this candle holder is???


It's a VHS TAPE!!!


1. First I opened it up and took all the tape out for another project, and then I used Gorilla Glue to glue the white reels to the case.  Because this was creating the base of my candle holder I didn't want them to wobble around!




2. Then I used the sticks that I gathered and started hot gluing them on.




After putting sticks all over, I used smaller ones to fill in any gaps!





3.  Then I used some moss to cover up the white parts.  I figured that when it eventually gets covered in wax, I can just rip it off and glue new stuff on!  



4.  Then, to stick some tapers in here, I had to whittle the bottoms down a bit.




5.  I was debating whether or not to add anything.  I have a few pine cones, but they didn't look right, so I added some of my small mod podged leaves.  I'm not sure about the leaves though, maybe if I had (and had used matte mod podge?)   Thoughts??


And there you have it!













Other autumn candle ideas:

Wine bottles with raffia @ Try to Keep Up



Check out the other projects that I've posted this week!


3 comments :

  1. I love this use of old video tapes! I have a box full of VHS tapes that I was saving to hopefully craft with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out great! What a clever idea-where on EARTH did youget it! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.