Monday 9 May 2011

MS Walk Success

May 1st I participated in the MS Walk with a bunch of my friends.  We had a team of about 30 people lead by the bravest girl I know.

Megan Captain

I've already talked about Megan quite a few times before, but if you missed it, you can click here to see the posts all about her, and if you want to know a little more about her journey with MS you can click here.

MS team
Our Awesome Team!!!


To date we've raised $12, 966.88 online!!! Because the walk was just a little while ago, there's still money coming in, and our cash contributions handed in on walk day haven't even been added to that number! I know I brought in an extra $125 in cash, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!!

For the walk this year I set my goal at $500.  I managed to raise $260 on my own, and another $445.34 in general team funds (when someone donates to the team, it's split between the members registered at the time of the donation, and things like our steak night fundraiser would be included in that - we raised about $3500!)  So I walked away (ha ha ha, no pun intended) bringing in a total of $705.34


steaknight success
(we had a super successful steak night and silent auction which brought in a ton of money!)

I couldn't remember what Megan originally set our team goal at, but I remember having an email conversation with her about it months ago.  I managed to find it, and I'd like to share it with you:

Some of my original email:
The real point of this email is that I was looking at the top 20 teams of last year and #20 came in at $6,110.  If you've set the goal for $5,000, I can't see why we can't aim for the top 20! Okay, maybe I'm just a bit ambitious, Amy knows how I get with stuff like this.  lol  I really want to meet or exceed $500, and you're almost there already, I think it's doable (and if we don't get there, it's still a shwack load of money, right?!)

Anyway, I'm excited, and I think we could make top 20.  :)

Megan's reply:
I saw that too. And at first I wanted to set the team goal to $10,000... But thought that might be a bit lofty since last time I did the walk the team got $2100. This year is different though and I'm really hoping to surpass $5000 and maybe even make the top 20!

That was on January 11, 2011.

Holy cow, we had no idea how great the team would do and how big it would grow!  The original goal was $5,000 and we more than doubled that!

We even managed to recruit some local celebrities - 3 former Saskatchewan Roughriders joined our team!!!  

Megan and RIders
(Don Narcisse, Andrew Greene, and Robert Mimbs)


Rider Shirts
The MS society made up tee shirts for the guys, and after the walk they signed them and Megan got to keep 'em!

(If you're not Canadian, you should know that Rider fans are some of the craziest out there! There's so much team spirit it'll blow your mind - check out some of the die hard fans here)


Megan even made a cake for the guys!
rider helmet cake
It blows my mind how talented she is.

We ended up with a beautiful day for a walk.  It was great and I can't wait to do even better next year!

There's still time to donate online until May 16 - any little bit helps! To donate, click the button below:

4 comments :

  1. Wow! I'm so impressed with how much your team brought in, and that cake is awesome! What a talent! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Great job for such a worthwhile cause. Your sister's cake is amazing. I had to look closely to even realize it's a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an accomplishment! That's amazing you all raised so much money for such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwwwww Jill! You're awesome! I couldn't have done it without my awesome team!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.