Saturday 3 July 2010

Summer Salads - part1

Now that it's summer/bbq season it's the perfect time to make fun salads to bring to all those bbqs, or just to eat at home!

The first one is a yummy cabbage salad.  I've review a few different recipes and taken what I like from different ones and make my own version.

The best part about this salad? IT'S SOOOO CHEAP TO MAKE.  I kid you not.  It cost me $4.11.  And if you really wanted to, you could omit the slivered almonds and make it for $1.63!!!


Okay, don't believe me, here's my receipt.  Everything that's in a black rectangle is for this salad.  Everything for the dressing is stuff that you would normally have on hand, so I didn't include it in the price.


What you'll need:


1 medium cabbage (I love buying full cabbages because it makes me think of cabbage patch dolls!!)
you could go with a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw, but it will cost you more, but it's less work.  It's up to you!


5 green onions


Ichiban noodles (it doesn't matter the flavor because you aren't going to use the sauce packet)


toasted slivered almonds (optional)
toasted sesame seeds (optional)


Dressing:
1/4 veg oil
3 tsp soya sauce
3 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt (I usually use a little less because of the soya sauce)
1/2 tsp pepper


Mix all the dressing ingredients together. I like to do this in our tupperware shaker which I think is older than I am! 



Shred the cabbage.  I like to use my food processor. 



Slice up the green onions and add them to your bowl of shredded cabbage.


Toast almonds and sesame seeds (if it's not already done).  You can do this in the oven or in a dry fry pan.  Throw these into the bowl too.


If you're making it up the day before, don't add the dressing yet.  Pour your dressing on a short while before you're ready to eat it.  It's going to be better if you have time to let the dressing sit and develop the flavors a bit.

Crush up the Ichiban noodles and pour on your salad just before serving. If you don't, they'll just get soggy.  Gross.



That's it! Enjoy!!

1 comment :

  1. I love this salad! I think you should give some credit to Aunty Lorna-I have her version of this recipe in my binder :) Makes me want to make it...hmmmmm, maybe I will!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.