Friday 9 July 2010

Summer Salads - part 2

Here's another summer salad favorite of mine: Marinated Veggie Salad


The recipe I work off of is this weight watcher's recipe:



1 cup broccoli florets, blanched
1 cup cauliflower florets, blanched
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrots
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
½ cup thinly sliced red onion
4 oz. drained cooked kidney beans
4 oz. drained cooked chick-peas
10 small green olives, pitted and sliced
10 small black olives, pitted and sliced
¾ cup reduced-calorie Italian salad dressing

Because it's weight watchers everything is precisely measured because of calories.  I usually use quantities that make sense, ie 3 stalks of celery, 4 carrots, etc.



I change things to my liking:



~1 cup broccoli florets, blanched
less than 1 cup cauliflower florets, blanched
~3-4 stalks sliced celery
~3-4  sliced carrots
half chopped green bell pepper (sometimes I add this, sometimes I don't)
half of one red onion thinly sliced

1 can  drained cooked kidney beans
one of those small cans of black olives, pitted and sliced
¾ cup reduced-calorie Italian salad dressing

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate at least 3 hours.






Again, this salad was fairly inexpensive to make.  All of the yellow highlighted ingredients are for the salad.  The only thing I didn't have to buy was the italian dressing and carrots.    This salad cost me $7.73.  Not too shabby!!

2 comments :

  1. Looks perfect for hot days! I'm in the process of passing on an award to you:) Stop by shortly to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to add baby corn to this salad, and or crumbled feta cheese for a little dairy! I also like halved cherry tomatos! Yurm!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.