Tuesday 15 June 2010

Pedi Bombs!!

With summer sneaking up on us it's definitely pedicure season! I have an abnormal love of my feet. My toes must always be painted and any chance to pamper I'll take. I even used to put my Dr. Scholls foot bath under my desk when studying for exams!!


One of the best parts of a pedi is soaking your feet in something lovely. For that very reason I created pedi bombs. They're little bath bombs to soak your feet in.



Want to make your own?

You'll need:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup salt (experiment, I used regular table salt for these, but sea salt, epsom salts, etc. work too)

~2.5 Tbsp light oil (I used appricot kernel oil, use whatever you like...baby oil works well too)
~1 Tbsp water
food coloring
essential oils (can be one or a blend)

1/2 cup citric acid


** the amounts here are half of what I usually use for making bath bombs. It's the exact same except I chose more "foot appropriate" EOs**


In medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients EXCEPT citric acid.



In small bowl (don't use plastic) measure your water and add food coloring to it. I used about 4 drops green and three of blue. Then add your oil and EOs. I added about 3 drops tea tree (great for being anti bacterial), 8 of peppermint (this is what I mainly wanted it to smell of because I have Lush's Fair Trade foot lotion which smells of peppermint as well!) and 2 or 3 of Eucalyptus (for a little more dimension). Mix together as best you can, because we all know that oil and water don't mix.



Add your wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. If you still have color streaks like this when you're mixing, you need to keep going.



If your mixture is very dry still, now is the time to add a tiny bit more water. Be careful doing this because you don't want too much. It should be about the consistency of wet/damp sand.

Once it's all mixed up add in your citric acid. Be careful not to breathe in the powder. It will hurt. Initially mix with a spoon. Once most of the citric acid is incorporated switch to mixing with your hands. I say this because if you have little cuts on your hands sticking them straight into the citric acid will hurt. Trust me. I made this mistake once and ran around my kitchen screaming "OMG! I AM SOOO STUPID" in a Michael Scott from the Office kind of way.

Anyway.....



Once you've mixed in your citric acid you're ready to start moulding your bombs. Pack tightly into your mould and then immediately remove it onto wax paper or parchment paper. I find the best way to do it is to flip it upside down really quickly.

Let your bombs dry overnight. The next morning you can package them how you like and store them for your next pedicure.

To use: just pop one into warm water and it'll fizz and smell lovely. Soak your feet for as long as you like! :)



2 comments :

  1. I'm going to have to try this!
    Thanks for visiting my blog! Don't be scared of spray paint! I have done so many things with it, including painting a brass chandlier black! It looks like wrought iron!
    You have lots of great ideas on here! I'll definitly be back!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love love love love love

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.