Sunday 26 June 2011

$90 Bathroom Makeover!

For those of you who hang out here a lot, you know I live with my mom. For those of you who don't, I live with my mom.  :P

This weekend she left on Friday morning for a weekend at the lake with some girlfriends.  When she left, her main floor bathroom looked like this:

Photobucket

BORING.  Everything is builder beige.  We've been in this house for over 4 years and at least 85% of it is still builder beige. Terrible, I know.

In addition to having no color, the bathroom had no style.  Random bar of soap on top of the toilet tank (usually next to a box of kleenex), bottle of lotion, liquid soap, in the dispenser from the store.  The round mat isn't too bad though.

Photobucket

The only attempt at decor in this bathroom is the shadow boxes on the one wall, which were created with the future color of the bathroom in mind, but in their current state, just blend in with the walls.

Photobucket

Almost forever ago my mom picked this color for the bathroom.

Photobucket

The paint chip has been tucked behind the mirror since she picked it.

I decided this was the time to do it!!

Photobucket

Ta-Da!!!

I couldn't just paint of course, I had to decorate too!

Photobucket

So I started by changing out the soap pump to this one that I'd had just sitting around.  

Photobucket

Then I bought that little trinket box for about $13 at Home Sense to hide anything that needs hiding (nail clippers, tweezers, glasses cleaning stuff)

Photobucket

I also found this basket at Home Sense. The inside was dark, and the outside was a light brown... nothing that a little spray paint can't fix!!

Photobucket

Speaking of spray paint, I gave our old wicker trash can a quick spray and voila!

Photobucket

Remember the wall art?

Photobucket

So much better!

When my mom went to France with my sister she picked up a bunch of prints as souvenirs.  We had these framed an up on the wall in our old house, but since then they've been sitting around for the last 4+ years.  I used one in the existing collection.  I replaced the old art with photographs my mom took on her trip.  

Photobucket

I put another one up above the toilet.

Photobucket

All that for only $90.  For the record, I bought 4 things - wall paint, black spray paint, the knick knack 'jar', and the basket!

Lessons to be learned here:  Decorate with what you already have.  Use your house to display things you've collected over time, but do it in such a way that it's organized and grouped together.

Thanks for stopping by.  I think this project will be pushing us to get rid of the other 85% of the builder beige paint!

P.S. My mom LOVED it.  She actually screamed, I couldn't stop laughing.  


http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac133/cerise422/sewcandoPARTYbuttonworking.jpg"/>


Keeping It SimpleBWS tips button




22 comments :

  1. Looks so great! I'm so glad she loved it. I really like the trinket box you picked up-it matches so great!!!! LURVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. You're such a sweet daughter!
    2. LOVE the make over!
    3. Your tips at the end are perfect! I love the reminder to use what you have collected over the years. Obviously we loved them to collect them so we should display them in our homes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun surprise for your mom! Nice job, it sure is a major improvement over the bland beige before! Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks great! what a sweet daughter you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I've been reading for how long now? How did I miss that you live with your mom?! :) Glad she liked it, you're sweet to do that for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. no way, that came out so great! only $90!! I'd love to see what you can do with other rooms.

    Stop by and link this up to our Wicked awesome wednesday link party if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Jill! This bathroom project turned out fabulous and I love that it cost you less than $100!! The power of paint!! I totally love the trinket box! That has me written all over it. You rock :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS. I have to share your bathroom on Facebook because I love it that much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks Fabulous! Your Mom is lucky to have you! Thanks for your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job! I love the color you added! What fun little accents you've incorporated as well!

    And if you want another idea for the room--you could monogram your soap dispenser. I've seen it on various blogs, it's a cute & simple way to personalize your space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely love how you gave your bathroom personality! Great job and like how you used the pictures in the frames..thanks for commenting on my blog and letting me know about this project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! You are one sweet and talented daughter! What a blessing to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. color makes everything better!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  14. How fun!! And what a nice surprise for you mom...you may find her going away on trips more often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you've done for your mum. And that's so funny that she screamed!

    It gives the room so much more character. And the pictures look gorgeous!

    Thanks so much for joining up with my Paint, Please link party.
    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The room is beautiful and such a lovely surprise for your mom. You might find she goes away every weekend now. :-)

    I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that colour and your simple, restrained taste in accessories. And I would have screamed with delight too!

    (Visiting via MCS)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE! Most of our house is builder beige and it drives me bonkers. It's like the whole house has no life. We have slowly been painting all the rooms and it makes a big difference. That wall color is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really loved the paint colour you used in this room, can you tell me the colour and brand as Im looking for warm heritage colours to use in my barn.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love this! I can't believe you spent less than $100, amazing

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so amazing how a coat of paint can transform a room! And I love all the little accent pieces you chose! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.