Monday 27 December 2010

Homemade Gifts - Copycat Urban Outfitters Bags

Here's another gift I made for my sister and a friend.  

My sister wanted this bag from Urban Outfitters.  She also gave the go ahead for me to make it myself!  Score!



I picked up a 3 pack of canvas totes from Michael's for $16.99! 



Next, I took a screen shot of the letters I wanted to use for the bags.  Then, using the pencil sketch effect on picnik.com I turned it into something that wouldn't use all my printer ink when I printed it!  I then printed the letters on 8.5x11 pieces of freezer paper.


Next I cut them out with an exacto knife and ironed them onto my canvas bags.


Insert some paper or cardboard between the layers of the bag to prevent it from bleeding through.  Then use fabric paint to paint in the stencil.



Let the paint dry completely.  Add another coat if needed. 


When paint is all dry, carefully peel the freezer paper stencil off, and follow any post-painting instructions on your fabric paint (iron/wash/etc.)

TA DA!!




Keeping It Simple  Photobucket

2 comments :

  1. Hi - just discovered you today and became a follower. I also would like to follow via e-mail. I can't acess blogs from work, but if I receive new postings via e-mail, I can read them. Yay! You know, they always say there is more than one way to skin a cat. And receiving post updates via e-mail is my way to read blogs while I have spare time at work. dmj53(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was vinyl! It looks so exact...

    Hope you can link this up to Creative Juice Thursday this week!

    Your newest follower,
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.