Sunday 29 August 2010

Scavenger Hunt Sunday

Last week I discovered Ramblings and Photos by Ashley Sisk, which is a pretty amazing photography blog.  

Every Sunday Ashley hosts a photo Scavenger Hunt.  She gives you 5 themes, and then you have to go out and caputre them.  I decided to try it out when I spend a full day on campus.  I hope that by participating in this every week I can improve my photography skills!




1. Bohek

I failed miserably at this.  It interests me, but I don't have photog-skillz, and so I don't have anything for this, I'll have to keep trying.



2. Business


This shot is a panoramic view of my city's downtown core from across the river at the university. 



3. Eco-Friendly


This one is a shot of the top of one of the solar powered trash compactors on campus.  I love the reflection of the biology building in the solar cells!!



4. Repitition

This was probably my favorite, I can't pick just one shot of this one


Looking at this one of the bench, a different angle would have reinforced the repetition idea, but I still like it.


Love the bike tires, but kinda wish they were more perfectly aligned.  I wasn't willing to start messing with other people's bikes though!


I think this one has to be my favorite.  I just love the way the trees framed the building drawing attention to the smoke stacks!




5. Music

This was effing hard.  Especially on campus.  I went to the education building, which also has the music department and wasn't very successful due to all the glaring fluorescent lights reflecting off of EVERYTHING!! Grrr.


Found this drum, not very happy with it still.  


So my shots aren't great, but I feel that I learned a lot in the process which is really why I"m doing this.  I think that most of these, especially "music" could be taken at closer distances and really focus in on parts to create a picture that has more interest.  

I hope that you guys have found this as insightful as I have!  And maybe you'll join in next week over at Ramblings and Photos!



7 comments :

  1. Great shots! Love your business shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you joined in this week and I'm now following you. I think my favorite is your eco-friendly shot...it looks a little abstract and that's very cool. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eco-friendly shot is very interesting-I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your eco-friendly shot is great! I also do like the bike tires, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy, but I just found the site last week as well & wanted to participate in the weekly scavenger hunts! I love the idea of it. I can't remember now how I got to the site, maybe it was through you somehow? Seriously, I end up in the weirdest places somehow, and without any idea of how I got there.

    I haven't even had a chance to look at the hunt for this week, but I really like your shots! Like everybody else, I especially like the eco-friendly shot, but the bicycles are probably my favorite. I agree I would have been tempted to line them up a little nicer before the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the eco shot. The reflection is awesome. Your business shot is nice too, there's kind of a dichotomy between all the green and the river and then the city poking up out of it all. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Bree I just found Ashley's site and the photo hunt two weeks ago. I have no idea how I stumbled across it but I'm glad I did! It's a fun way to challenge yourself.

    Love your eco-friendly shot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.