Wednesday 16 June 2010

Salt scrub!!


Summer's coming which means more skin showing (even if it's just that few inches of calf going from jeans to capris) It's time to make our skin look it's best, so here's a great (and cheap) way to get it into shape!

There are a lot of scrub recipes out there, but I really like this one. Check out the other recipes on the site too, they've got something for everyone!

What you'll need:



1 cup salt (you could use sugar, but I HATE sugar scrubs for face/body. If you get any water in them they clump up and become gross, I've been a lot more successful with salt)

3 tsp liquid glycerin - you can find it at health food stores or even at the pharmacy (look for it with the laxatives... yup, taken internally glycerin is a laxative) I bought mine at a health food store for under $5 for a 118mL bottle. I try to leave the prices on things so I remember how much they are. Glycerin takes the place of oil for this recipe, so in theory, oil could be used too, but if you want to use it for your face, go with the glycerin.



1 tsp pure honey - honey is a natural preservative. It is also used a lot in cosmetics because it helps clean out and purify skin. If you have sensitive skin, don't use it on your face because you'll turn red and blotchy. In small quantities on your body it should be fine.

3-5 drops essential oils - Because I love (and get carried away with) EO's I used 7: 3 lemon, 1 orange, and 3 lime. I love citrus and I find you get the best citrus scents when you mix them. Citrus is also great for the skin because it has a toning effect. (look, I still have the prices on these too)



Measure salt into medium sized bowl (cereal bowls work great). Add all liquid ingredients and mix well. If you really wanted to you could add some food coloring too, I've never done it, but I'd recommend going easy on the color because you don't want to dye your skin!



Find an airtight container to store it in. The big black pots from Lush work great!



To use: wet skin, scrub (don't apply too much pressure), rinse off, pat dry. Follow up with your favorite lotion.


When I make this I always save a little bit to use on my hands after cleaning up. :)








Get your craft on Thurs. giveaways

2 comments :

  1. Stopping by from the Show Off Your Stuff Party. This looks great...very refreshing! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try this.

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life As Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.