Monday 20 September 2010

Autumn Spice Scrub

If you've been around my blog for a while, you'll know I LOVE making my own scrubs!!  

The thing I love about them? I can always make something with ingredients from my kitchen!

Here's the base of all my scrubs:  salt, olive oil, and fragrance (optional!).  There's a few variations on the base.  

You could always use sugar instead of salt, but I like salt because it doesn't get all clumpy when it gets a little water in it.  

Additionally, if you want to make a scrub for your face, use vegetable glycerin (available at most pharmacies - you can find it with laxatives...ewww) this will moisturize without being pore-clogging and oily.  Or if you want a lathering scrub, add non-scented (or scented if that's what you want to use for fragrance) liquid castile soap.  When I want something really quick and invigorating, a little Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap and salt. DONE!  

You can also use a variety of oils as well, or a mixture of them: jojoba oil, apricot kernel oil, sweet almond oil, anything you think might be nice on your skin.  


Here's my Autumn spice scrub, perfect for giving your skin one last pampering before it's hidden underneath long sleeves and pants for months and months!  This one exfoliates and moisturizes, I love the olive oil scrubs because you really don't need to use lotion after!!

What you need:
1/2 cup  salt (I used regular table salt)
1 tsp      ground cinnamon
1 tsp      ground cloves
1 tsp      ground allspice
10 drops    sweet orange eo  (check out end of post for alternative)
                  olive oil


Measure your dry ingredients into container, and stir well.  I use the "big" black pots from Lush.  They're a good size, and it's reusing right?! They look nice in your shower too ;)




Next, add your olive oil.  How much...um, well, I guess.  Enough to make it wet.  Add a little, give it a stir, and add more if necessary.  Add in your 10 drops of orange eo, and stir well.




Store in an airtight container in your shower.  When you're ready to use it, grab a handful and rub rub rub!  This one will require some serious rinsing because the oil tends to make the spices want to stick to your skin, but I think it's worth it!

**Word of warning: Scrubs that have a fair bit of oil in them might make your tub slippery, so please be careful!!**




Again, all of the above options would work with this, but here's a few more ideas:

Add apple juice instead or orange eo to make it more apple-cidery (I LOVE apple cider)

Don't have orange eo?  No worries, zest some fresh orange rind and throw it in!  I would have done this had I had it on hand.  


      It's a Blog Party      



Check out the other projects that I've posted this week!

Monday

5 comments :

  1. This sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a homemade spa day a few times a year with all the girls in my mom's family. The scrubs are always the best!
    Thanks for the recipe. I am a new follower and will be back often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foundja from SugarBee. I love making my own scrub too, though I prefer to use raw sugar in mine. Made one for my mom and she was horrid about keeping the lid on it. A year later, it was basically just syrup. :) Gotta love chemical free, non toxic, CHEAP, and homemade beauty stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the blog info. I’d like to subscribe to your RSS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing thinking of doing some last min. Christmas Gifts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.