Tuesday 22 October 2013

Wear your Wardrobe Challenge

Alright, over the next while (couple months) once a week I'll be updating about a self-imposed (self-created) challenge I'm doing.  I'm calling it the....


The other day I started looking through my closet and realized it's old.  Really old.  Some of the stuff in there pre-dates my last relationship (making it 5+ years old).  You know how they say "if you don't wear it in a year, toss it"? I can never manage to do this.  I look at things I rarely wear and think "it's not bad, I think I will wear it some day" and then never do. 

The really quick explanation in graphic form:

Here are the "rules" and we all know that rules in quotation marks means guidelines!

1.  Essential laundry only - this is things like socks, underwear, jeans, etc.  Obviously these things need to get done.  Additional "acceptable" laundry items include things that are required to wear other pieces - cardigans, tank tops, bottoms, etc.  Try not to just wash and wear your favorite jeans the whole time - the point is to wear all those other pants you never do! Good example of why you need to wash those jeans: "this ONE top I never wear doesn't look good with anything else" - wash the jeans.

2. Accessories don't count - scarves, necklaces, earrings, belts, shoes, etc. don't count, they can be worn as much as necessary.

3. Keep or Toss - Each piece will be evaluated keep or toss.  I can already think of one top right now that will get tossed even though it's brand new and I've NEVER worn it.  In like 2 years.  I just can't see myself wearing it.  Anything that I basically have to really fight myself to wear, or things I wear that I just don't feel comfortable in will get the boot.  I will be posting what I want to toss, and if there's an overwhelming response of "that looked good, you should keep it!" I'll give it another go.  (also, friends in the area, if you see a piece I plan to toss and you think you'd wear it, let me know and it's yours!!)    If you can't make yourself wear it - toss it!

4. Instagram - I'll be posting my outfits daily on Instagram, so feel free to follow along and give me feedback!  @jbean86

5. Blogging - each week I'll post a summary of what I wore for the past week with more details than on instagram such as where it came from  (you'll quickly learn half my closet is Smart Set), how much it cost (if I can remember?!) and *gasp* how old it is.  If anything is exceptionally old, I'll try to find an old photo of me wearing it at some point! As well as if I plan to keep it or toss it!

Side note 1. I'm also going to try to apply this to my gym clothes.  Some days you'll get bonus photos of "what I wore to teach my fitness class."  I fall into the same habits with my gym clothes too. 

Side note 2. Seasonally inappropriate clothing is excluded.  Don't wear your short shorts if it's snowing.  Unless you normally would.  HOWEVER sometimes it's fun to add leggings, sweaters and scarves to stuff that maybe you wouldn't think about wearing this late in the year.  It's up to you really. 

Side note 3. If there are questions and I need to amend/add rules I just might do that as the challenge progresses!

Here's my closet "before" shot!

 
I'm not done until most of this is empty hangers!!

Does this sound like you?! I'd love for you to join me in this quest to clean out my closet! Follow along on instagram @jbean86 OR participate by taking up the challenge and instagramming your outfits (try to get a closet before & after too!) and tag them #wearyourwardrobe   If you want to join up, leave your instagramy name (what are those called...do they have a name??) in the comment section so I can follow you!

Let the fun begin!

Dragonfly Designs     
  Chic on a Shoestring Decorating    The Answer Is Chocolate

3 comments :

  1. Love this! I'm *always* purging my closet so I only keep clothing that's "my" colors and fits me well. I now have a much smaller wardrobe, but now I consistently wear 75% of the clothing in my closet. I'm doing much better than I was years ago. Hope you have a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I try to go through my closet about once a month and remove anything I haven't worn in that month. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't.... I have 2 rules when I do this, try it one and ask yourself if you would buy it today. If you don't like it one get rid of it, if you would pay for it today get rid of it. But I love the idea of posting pictures of yourself in the outfits and getting feed back on it. May have to try this...
    Thanks for the great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, this is such a great idea! I hate a crowded closet. Thanks for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Feel free to share this post at my Make it Pretty Monday party which goes live on Monday at 8am CDT. Here is the link to this past week's party if you want to check it out. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2013/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-72.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.