Monday 19 August 2013

Carrot Breakfast Protein Cake

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this blog before (PALEOMG.com) but her recipes are sooo good that I will be singing her praises again! I LOVE this recipe (and not just because it combines the words "breakfast" and "cake"!)


 photo 61086845-aae8-4f1f-91e7-0b7a362c40cf_zpseacdf4b6.jpg

I've attempted this recipe three times and have successfully enjoyed it twice.  The first time I started to make it...well...this happened:

 photo null_zps9224457c.jpg

 photo null_zpse0108f4a.jpg

Yup.  I shredded the $@*# outta my finger!!  I didn't think it would stop bleeding.  I thought this was the cake that would be the end of me!

So here's my warning  **use a food processor to shred your carrots...or CAREFULLY use your new - really sharp - Ikea cheese grater**

Anyway, let's make some tasty cake!

Ingredients:
2                large carrots, shredded
2/3 cup      peanut butter (the original recipe calls for almond butter, I have yet to buy/try that version - but I will, Amy recommends the almond butter at Costco!)
2               eggs
3 Tbsp      raw honey
35 grams  Whey protein, not gonna lie, I just toss some in... (2 Tbsp of coconut flour would also work if you don't do the protein powder thing)
1 Tbsp      cinnamon
1/2 tsp       baking powder
pinch         salt
1/2 cup      rasins

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

1.5. (Optional) for baking I typically soak my raisins in water before using.  It gets the grit and any oil off them.  If you do it, you'll see that the water ends up pretty grungy....I prefer not to eat the grunge.  ;)

2. Mix carrots, eggs and peanut butter in large bowl.

3. Add honey, protein powder, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.

4. Fold in rasins.

5. Grease a muffing tin OR in my case because I didn't have a muffin tin, cute adorable ramekins with coconut oil.  Bake about 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and they have a bit of a "crust" to the top.  (The original recipe uses a 8x8 pan, and bakes for 35 minutes)

6. Quite possibly my favourite step! Eat guilt-free cake for breakfast.


 photo null_zps156a6554.jpg

Sumo's Sweet Stuff          Keeping It Simple By Stephanie Lynn     Dragonfly Designs

1 comment :

  1. This looks soooooo yummy! I expect it to be made for me when I'm home in 2 weeks! Danke

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.