Sunday 3 April 2011

Eco Deodorant Review

I'm always on the search for a good deo.

Deodorant as opposed to antiperspirant is about keeping you from smelling, not actually keeping you from sweating (which is what antiperspirants do).  Often antiperspirants contain aluminum-base compounds that can be harmful. There are many different beliefs on what effects these compounds have on the body.  Nothing is really confirmed, and so they keep selling the stuff, but I think that it's usually a good idea to exercise caution when in doubt.

Thus my search for a good natural deo.

Kiss My Face Deo

This is one of many I've tried. 

It had a nice scent, comes in a standard/convenient roll up container, and is free of aluminum.  Additionally, I was able to find it at my grocery store.  Those are about the only nice things I have to say about it.  

Firstly, it was VERY hard.  It almost hurt to put on the first few times until you could smooth out the edges.  Additionally, it didn't even do it's job.  Less than an hour later I found it ineffective.  :(  

It was bad enough that I actually returned it because it was $6.99 - not exactly cheap when it comes to deo.  

So my search continues.  

I'd love to hear if you've tried any good brands, or if you have a kind you'd like me to try and review.  

3 comments :

  1. I have had the same niggling concern for myself in the last decade. However, it became a serious issue when my daughter began needing to wear deo products. I refused to expose her to the chemicals and metals and so went on a hunt for one which was affordable and also available.
    I found, at my local grocer, a product called "Lafe's Natural and Organic Deodorant Stick 'active'"
    here is a link http://www.lafes.com/lafes-natural-organic-deodorant-stick-p-125.html
    Most Lafe's products are rated 0 and 1 on the Environmental Working Group's web site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the Adidas aluminum-free deoderants? I found them to be the best I've tried so far, for myself. Safeway sells them for sure, and I think I saw them at Sobeys too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using natural deodorant on and off for a few years now (I sometimes use antiperspirant when I want to be particularly fresh!). I've used both Kiss My Face and Tom's, and find they both work great, however you need to allow your body a few days to sweat out the toxins. After that, you'll find it works better. Similarly, after a few months I find that the deodorant stops 'working'. I'm not sure why, but that's when I switch to the other brand for a few months.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.