Monday 17 January 2011

Tex Mex Dip

I haven't yet shared a recipe this year, so it's about time!

Megan decided to have a mexican themed movie night - check out the cute invitations she sent:

(invites from punchbowl.com)


The plan was to watch the Three Amigos and have Mexican themed food.  If you've never seen The Three Amigos, you're missing out.  lol

Here's the original movie trailer from 1987...I may or may not have been a year old back then...



Anyway, I decided to bring one of my favorite dips - Tex Mex Dip (I believe it also goes by the name of 7 layer dip...but in my opinion tex mex dip is just more fun)

What you'll need:
2 ripe avocados, or guacamole (I live in the land of terrible produce, so usually ripe avocados are hard to find here!)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste 

(if you bought guacamole, you can omit the lemon juice and salt and pepper)

1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 to 1/2 package taco seasoning mix

1 can refried beans

2 roma tomatoes diced
green onions
sliced black olives
shredded cheddar cheese



First get everything ready. 

Peel and mash your avocado in a bowl with the lemon juice, salt and pepper




In another bowl, mix your mayo, sour cream and taco seasoning.  Quick tangent: this makes good chip dip too!!



I usually throw my can of refried beans into a bowl and give them a little mash too.  It makes them spread better, and seem a little less like pet food if I'm not taking it right out of the can.




Alright, so now you should have 7 little bowls of goodies.  
Refried beans
Avocado mixture
Taco seasoning mixture
Green onions
Diced tomatoes
Black olives
Shredded cheese


Now you're going to want to layer them in that exact order on a large shallow plate.  The one I used is a giant Christmas platter, and then I made a little plate of it to keep at home.  My parents always used to make a little plate of this for me and my sister when they took it to a party, and I just keep making a mini one too!
And you're done!!



They kind of look like pizza here, but I assure you it's nothing like that.  It's absolutely DELICIOUS!!!






Linking to these parties:

12 comments :

  1. I love this dip! Although I've never made it with mayo & sour cream, I just usually use only the sour cream. I think adding the mayo is a good idea too.

    Your comment about the refried beans & pet food absolutely cracked me up. I'd never thought of it like that before, but I'm sure now I will the next time I make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made that quick chip dip the other night! Yummo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dip was super delicious! I wish we had eaten it first so I would have had more room lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder of this wonderful dip! I haven't had it in years and have never made it before myself. I need to introduce this to my family. They would love it! I know what you mean about the refried beans. I've thought of that before too. haha Have a great Tuesday, Candace

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this since I am from Texas I am a little biased of course I like it! Thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Tex-Mex. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes old favorites just get shoved aside. Loved the scene from The Three Amigos, what a funny movie that was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made this for years. I love that you make a small plate to leave at home. I always feel bad when I make something special for a party and can't leave any for my kids without cutting into it. I'd love if you'd come by my blog- Balance Today and link your yummy recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jill, I wanted to personally welcome you to the hearth and soul hop and tell you that I am now following your blog and tweets, though, I would ask you to place a link back to the blog hop so more people can enjoy your lovely recipe. I really enjoy Mexican layered dip and while the prep can be a bit time consuming, it never ever fails to be delicious! All the best, Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks wonderful and delicious. So colorful!

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy, I love Mexican layer dips. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, this sounds delish! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.