Tuesday 4 May 2010

Subway Art

I had to jump on the bandwagon and make my own subway art. I made this for Craftster's monthly challenge for May.

Here's the finished product:



The crooked Y in RECYCLE is driving me crazy. I may end up fixing it, but I'm pretty lazy.





Here's a close up on the skull scissors Craftster dude. The Challenge was to use one of the Craftser images because it's their 50th challenge.



I used my printer to print out the words I thought I might like to use. I used Open Office (like Microsoft Word, but a free program) to write out the words. They're all in Helvetica, some bold and some "skinny."

To get the letters to turn out white on a black background, highlite the letters in black, and the default text color is usually white. If it's not, change the text color to white.

I initially made them all the same size.



I then used scissors and a craft knife to cut all the letters out. If you have a Cricut, I'd advise using it. Or if you have a printer that's NOT PMSing like mine, print them out in high quality and then cut the words out in rectangles.




Then I laid them out on my canvas which I had previously painted black.

After doing this, I realized they'd look better had I used different font sizes. Because I already went through the work to cut them all out, I chose to re-do CRAFT and SEW, making the first one bigger, and the latter smaller.






I used Mod Podge and a small paint brush to glue each letter on. In an attempt to get them somewhat straight I used a post-it note to line them up. As you can see in the final result, I still didn't manage to do a great job of this!



In the end I'm pretty in love with it. I'm glad my canvas was only about 10"x8" because it was a lot of work!

To finish it off, I distressed the edges and the sides with some fine grit sand paper!



Photobucket  http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/ wgw+button.jpg Show and Tell Green Hump Day link Share Wednesdays.jpg

6 comments :

  1. Ok, you're making me want to make one!
    I'm visiting from Tip Junkie's Tip Me Tuesday.
    Stop by and visit me when you get a minute!
    http://songberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS with your neat craft project!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!!!! I love Subway art! LOL, you crack me up about the y...you sound just like me!
    Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That took so much time! BUT it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun project! I love the scissors and skull too. It turned out great. thanks for linking it up to the Subway Art Party!

    XOXO
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea to make it all crafty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.