Wednesday 26 May 2010

Lip Scrub



Alright, so I wasn't all that interested in lip scrubs until I had a conversation with my sister. As usual, we were discussing Lush products (we both used to work there at different stores in different cities!) and the topic of lip scrubs came up. They sell these.






I wouldn't pay $9 for them, but I'm cheap like that. Not to mention the idea of scrubbing my lips isn't that high on my priority list!

But after talking about it with my sister so much, I thought I'd give it a try. It turned out pretty well!



If you want to try your hand at it, here's what I did:

Ingredients:
white sugar
honey
apricot kernel oil
pure vanilla extract
peppermint essential oil

Use what you have on hand. Why did I use apricot kernel oil?? Because I happened to have it. If you want to use olive oil, go for it! If you don't have peppermint oil, use another essential oil, or none at all. Whatever you like best!

The peppermint makes it tingle. If you're extremely sensitive, I'd suggest leaving it out, or using less than I did.

Alright, now here are my extremely "precise" measurements and directions:

1. Put about 1/8 - 1/4 of a cup of sugar in a small bowl
2. Add a "squirt" or "drizzle" of honey
3. Add ~3 drops of peppermint oil
4. Pour in some oil... I probably used about 2 tsp.
5. Splash a little bit of vanilla in
6. Mix it up really well!!

To use:
Wet lips with water and rub a pea sized amount on lip. Rub rub rub!! (gently!) The longer you scrub the smoother your lips will be. Don't press too hard though.

I like to finish up with my Rocky Mountain Soap Company peppermint lip butter!

And because I know you're probably curious, it didn't taste half bad either!! I wouldn't recommend you eat it, but if you get some in your mouth, it's not the end of the world!




If you find that the sugar is too rough for your lips, there's two things you can do.
1) with some water, rub your scrub between your fingers before putting in your lips. This will dissolve the sugar a bit and smooth out the edges. This works for commercial scrubs (salt and sugar) too.

2) Next time you make the scrub, through your sugar in the blender or food processor first to make it finer.

I'll have to see how well this keeps, honey is a natural preservative, so we'll see how it goes!!

I think next time I'm going to try cinnamon and clove with maybe a hint of orange! Or maybe a citrus blend of lime, lemon, and orange... oh the possibilities!!!


Linking up:



Punkin Seed Productions
Favorite%2BThings%2BFridaybig%2Bbutton.jpg Decor Mamma



3 comments :

  1. Lip scrub, hmmm? Will have to try this...I've been using a soft toothbrush and vaseline when my lips get real dry. This sounds do able. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even heard of lip scrub before! That is so cool! Thanks for sharing it with us and for linking up to The Virginia House!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your other combinations sound nice. But remember cinnamon oil is often used in lip plumping products...and causes a tingle sensation. Use it sparingly (preferably diluted) and be sure you are not sensitive to it before applying directly to your lips.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. All comments are read and appreciated.